Here’s a great lunchtime meal with plenty of healthy fats and a good source of fiber to keep you feeling satisfied throughout the afternoon. Add a multigrain roll for more energy-providing carbs and fiber.
Apple Walnut Salad
Original recipe: here Servings: 1
- 1 cup Power Greens (organic baby red and green chard, baby kale, baby spinach, & mizuna blend from Earthbound Farm)
- 2 leaves Romaine (chopped)
- 1/2 Honeycrisp Apple (cut into bite size pieces)
- 1/4 cup Toasted Walnuts (halves & pieces)
- Optional: 1/2 oz. extra sharp cheddar (cut into small pieces)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Champagne Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Toast walnuts at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. Mix champagne vinegar and Dijon together. Whisk in olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste. Drizzle over salad and enjoy!
- Calories: 349
- Fat: 28.6 Monounsaturated: 10g Polyunsaturated: 1.4 Saturated: 4.9 Trans: 0g
- Total Carbs: 13.5g Dietary Fiber: 5.7g
- Protein 7.2g
- Potassium: 323 mg
- Vitamin A: 146.5%
- Vitamin C: 56.6%
- Calcium: 18.5%
- Iron: 15%
- Romaine Lettuce: the vitamin c & beta-carotene work together to help reduce cholesterol build up.
- Swiss Chard & Apple: both help regulate blood sugars.
- Mizuna (a mustard green) & Kale: both help lower cholesterol.
- Walnuts: helps both the heart and circulatory systems.
- Olive Oil (EVOO): it’s an anti-inflammatory food.