Kick off summer with this intermediate to advanced workout you can take to the stairs. *You can make this workout more beginner-friendly by cutting the time down to 20 seconds for each exercise. Find any set of stairs (use PublicStairs.com to find a set in your area) and that’s it – no equipment needed. The key to stair climbing is to not overdo. You want to be able to walk the next day!
Warm up at a slower pace for 3-5 sets and always walk back down stairs.
Perform one minute of each exercise below as a circuit (with no breaks in between):
- Squats: Keep weight on heels and push your butt back with your chest open (like you are sitting in a chair).
- Quick Up & Downs (using bottom step): Step up and down on the bottom step as fast as possible. Stay light on your feet.
- Vertical Jumps: Jump up as high as you can, but land as soft as you can.
- Stair Climb 5-8x (or 3 minutes worth of stair climbing – one song on your ipod)
- 1 Leg Balance (stand on right leg): Just as it sounds, stand on one leg and balance – close your eyes for more of a challenge.
- Push ups (hands on bottom step): Keep your body in a straight line with your shoulders retracted and depressed.
- 1 Leg Balance (stand on left leg): Same as above.
- Tricep Dips (off bottom step): Don’t lock out your elbows and no shoulder shrugs.
Perform the 8 exercises, then take a 60-90 second break. Repeat the 8-exercise set up to 5x.
Stretch and your done!
Hope you all have an amazing Summer Solstice Weekend!
This phone photo was taken Wednesday at Alki. I love that place!
*Consult your physician before starting any new exercise program.