Take advantage of this summer-like weather this week (Seattle) and try this refreshing coconut mojito smoothie with all clean ingredients.
Clean Coconut Mojito
Prep Time: 5 minutes Serving size: 2 Calories per serving: 150
- 3/4 cup Coconut Water
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Banana (frozen)
- 1-3 Key Limes (juice & zest to taste)
- 12 Mint Leaves
- Optional: 2 Tablespoons Plain Greek Yogurt (yogurt isn’t technically a “clean eating” food)
Mix all ingredients in a blender until smooth and enjoy!
- Coconut Water: low in calories and fat, super hydrating, and high in potassium (which helps your heart beat).
- Coconut Milk: This ingredient is controversial because of the saturated fat content, but the unique fatty acids improve immune function, reduce heart disease risk, improve skin and hair health and may actually help increase weight loss. This saturated fat doesn’t solidify in the body.
- Banana: for cardiovascular protection from potassium and fiber, has antacid effects, helps protect eyesight and bone health.
- Key Limes: for antioxidant health and cancer fighting properties.
- Greek Yogurt: Greek yogurt contains probiotics (organisms such as bacteria) to improve digestive health. They help keep the intestines healthy and assist in digesting food.
- Mint: for bone health, maintaining blood sugar levels, and nerve health, decreases risk of colon cancer, and may help decrease risk of colorectal cancer and tumor formation.
*The health benefits are only for the suggested serving sizes of each fruit, veggie or herb. There are certain health risks and warnings associated with absorbing certain nutrients. Consult with your physician before starting any new diet.