Switch things up and take it off road! Here’s a new trail workout and location to keep things fresh and fun. Burn calories, tone up, and enjoy the great outdoors!!
- Squats: Keep your weight on your heels and push your butt back.
- Pushups on a log (or bench): Abs in, chest open, body in a straight line. Legs can be wider to make easier or perform pushups from a higher surface. Increase difficulty by lifting one leg up.
- Butt Kickers on a log (side to side): Kick your butt each time you jump up.
Trail Running Rules:
- Run cautiously (at a moderate pace).
- Wear trail running shoes (they have better traction).
- Dress in layers.
- Stay on the trails.
- Be aware of bears and other wildlife (they are back again and have been seen).
The first part of the trail isn’t that pretty (see top picture in trail run exercises), but it’s a perfect trail for running and it’s convenient (if you live close to Seattle). The trail is about 3 miles, but you can connect to other trails to make longer.
I never realized that Coal Creek actually had coal (duh)…
Directions from I-90:
- Take Exit 13 (Lakemont Blvd)
- Head South towards Coal Creek.
- Once you start heading downhill, look for the parking lot (which holds about 20 cars) on the east side of the street (the road will start making a hard right). It will have a sign that says Cougar Mountain Trailhead.
*For less impact, you can always walk instead of run. Consult your physician before starting any new exercise program.