Step Ups are one of the best exercises you can do to sculpt and tone glutes and thighs.
I’ve shown other variations of step ups here, here, here, and here. But, if you need some variety, try lateral or transverse step ups. Changing your plane of motion is a perfect way to tweak the exercise to callenge your muscles a little differently.
Key points to remember:
- Start with just your body weight and a lower step height.
- Stand tall with abs pulled in, chest open, and shoulders retracted and depressed.
- Step all the way up on the step or platform not letting your heel hang off the edge.
- Squeeze your glutes at the top of the move.
- Go down slow and controlled; don’t let your body “drop” back down to the floor. In other words, resist yourself on the way down.
- Keep your knee as stable as possible (don’t let it wobble side to side).
- Progress height (until thigh parallel) as you are successful.
- Perform up to 25 repetitions per leg for 1-2 sets.