Take advantage of the last days of summer vacation with this 4.5 mile walking workout, which will burn 275-450 calories (depending on your intensity). Bring your phone to track mileage and take a few fun photos along the way.
Think about how hard you are working with your walking routine. Break up the intensity into low, medium, and high.
- Low intensity: You should be able to comfortably say between 10-8 words without catching your breath.
- Medium intensity: You can say between 8-6 words without catching your breath.
- High intensity: You can say 4-6 words without catching your breath.
A 4.5 Miles (Photo Op) Walking Workout:
- Warm up for .5 miles at a lower intensity.
- Pick up the pace (medium intensity) for 1 mile.
- Alternate 1 minute speed walk (higher intensity) followed by 1 minute slower pace (medium intensity) for 1 mile.
- For the next 1.5 miles find 3 hills to go up 3x with bigger strides to work your glutes. If your hills are only at the beginning of your route, then move this step up to number 2. If you live where it’s flat, then take bigger strides, bend your elbows and pump your arms with your shoulders back and down for 1 minute, then go back to your normal stride for 2 minutes – alternating.
- Go at a lower intensity to get your heart rate down for .5 miles.
- Stretch! DON”T SKIP THIS STEP!!
Along the way, take advantage of fun photo opportunities like these:
An arty shadow selfie (if it’s not sunny, a pic of your pretty face will work too)…
The sun (or sky)…
Evidence of leaves changing color (though, I’m not ready for this)…
Sun shining on blooms (angle your phone to pick up the rays)…
And something edible (I saw apples, blackberries, tomatoes, and pumpkins)…
If you want, post your collage on Joy, Fitness, & Style’s Facebook page.
Would love to see your pics!
Here’s some blooms to look for now:
*See your physician before starting any new exercise program.