Lighter Side: Key Lime Cheesecake (original recipe here)
Prep Time: 30 minutes, Chill: 8 hours
- 3/4 cup low-fat honey graham crackers crumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted margarine
- 4 oz. package sugar-free lime-flavored gelatin
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 16 oz. container fat-free cottage cheese
- 8 oz. 1/3 less fat *neufchâtel
- 1/3 cup fresh key lime juice
- zest of 2-4 key limes
- 8 oz. container *lite whipped dessert topping, thawed
- Key Limes, cut into paper-thin half circles with zest for top.
- In a small bowl combine graham cracker crumbs and margarine. Press crumb mixture in the bottom of a 8 x 8 square dish, a pie plate, or individual bowls. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- In a large bowl combine gelatin and water. Stir until gelatin is dissolved. Set aside.
- In a blender, combine neufchâtel, cottage cheese, key lime juice, and zest.
- Cover and blend until smooth, stopping several times to scrape down sides.
- Whisk 1/2 of the cottage cheese mixture into the gelatin mixture.
- Whisk in remaining cottage cheese mixture until smooth.
- Fold in whipped dessert topping.
- Spoon filling over chilled crumb mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 to 24 hours (until filling is firm).
Cut into squares or as a pie slice, or serve in individual serving bowls. Top with a lime slice and a pinch of zest. Don’t be afraid of the zest – add more than you think you need.
Makes at least 9 servings.
*You can use fat-free cream cheese and whipped topping, but I don’t think they pass as the real thing.