‘Tis the season of homemade apple pie ala mode, but with anywhere from 500-12oo calories per serving, is it really worth it? Why not try this healthier dessert instead – only 138 calories and zero grams of fat. I promise you, it’s super easy and worth it!
Baked Cinnamon Apples
Original recipe was found at Eating Well.
- 4 organic granny smith apples
- 4 teaspoons organic brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup white wine (I used pinot grigio)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Create a small well in the center of apples by cutting out the stem and core and leaving the bottom intact. I used a melon baller – which worked great.
- Transfer the apples to an 8×8 inch glass baking dish.
- Fill each well with a teaspoon of brown sugar.
- Sprinkle cinnamon over apples.
- Pour wine around the apples, cover with foil and bake until soft, about 1 hour.
- Let cool before serving.
Yes, you read that right, 150 calories per pint! It’s not ice cream, but it’s still really good!
If you want added crunch, try adding a teaspoon of chopped walnuts or pecans.
This recipe is so good I will confidently serve it at my next dinner party.