Seated Piriformis Stretch (Also called Half Lord of the Fishes in yoga)
- Sit in a cross-legged position with your left foot by your right hip.
- Pull your right knee up and position your right foot on the inside of your left knee.
- Sit evenly on both “sit bones”.
- Lengthen through both sides of your waist with your chest lifted.
- Slowly twist to the right without forcing the movement.
- You should feel the stretch on the right side (piriformis muscle).
If its uncomfortable on your knees or hips or if you have sciatic nerve pain, try rolling up a blanket to sit on (so your hips are up higher off the floor).
If you need a deeper stretch, position your right foot on the outside of your left knee (pictured).
Breath into the stretch and stay tall and hold stretch for at least 20-30 seconds or 5-7 breaths.
Aaahhh, happy Friday!