Marymoor Park has added a MOMentum gym which is fitness equipment you can use while your kids play at the playground. What a great idea to get parents fit!
I first got the “head’s up” that this was coming through Kellee over at EveryMove. EveryMove’s health and fitness blog is worth checking out – especially if you live in the Pacific Northwest.
Here’s pictures and a list of the pros and cons of the different pieces of equipment at the park.
- Equipment looks sleek and new
- A station for abdominal crunches and ‘V’ sits
- Two roman chairs to perform ab knee ups and tricep dips
- A pull up bar for back and hanging knee raises
- Equipment was almost always in use on Saturday night with smiling faces
- *Gliders (no resistance)
- **Standing rotation station (no resistance)
- Little kids on gliders and rotational equipment
*The gliders are suppose to be for low impact cardiovascular training. With no resistance, it would be similar to pedaling down a steep hill as fast as you can. You will burn more calories walking around the playground or even marching in place than you would on these gliders. I wish they could have figured out a way to add even light resistance to this piece of equipment – then I would have told you this thing is amazing.
**The rotation station also had no resistance. It’s a waste of your time and it will NOT strengthen your core. It is more challenging to stand in place and rotate your upper body with your feet stationary. It may even increase your risk of injury if you aren’t careful.
The fixed machines are great. There is nothing cutting edge here, it’s old school exercises that do work if you know what you are doing.
The machines that used momentum are fun to try, but will not get you fit.